Saturday, September 3, 2011

Happy Labor Day weekend....hope that you all have a wonderful holiday planned if you are in the United States, and if you are not I hope that it is still a weekend full of all the things that you love and enjoy. So without further ado, let me say:

Welcome to another Sensational Saturday at Sugar Creek Hollow and the
first monthly  TRASH TO VINTAGE
TREASURE
challenge.  We want you to make a project that
turns throw-away items into a vintage treasure.

For this challenge, off-cuts or scraps in your craft room do not qualify
- you can use them as part of the project but they are not to be
considered the throw-away items.  Instead we want you to take
everyday items that you would normally throw in the garbage or in your
recycling bin and turn them into something fabulous.  This is the
time to do your part for the environment and show us how green you can
be. By the way, please include photos of your throw-away items before
they are transformed in your blog post so we can see what your treasure
looked like when it was still trash.

As you probably thought when you first saw the picture above....that looks like trash. It is a very cheap frame that Rick had some pictures in that the back broke and was unrepairable. I started to pitch it and then thought that since it did have a real glass in it, that I might be able to use it someday....well with the new challenge of turning trash to treasure which we will have the first of every month, this was a perfect time to drag it out. And this is what I created:



I created a Christmas collage for myself that I know just the spot in our house that I want to set it. By taking a piece of card board and cutting it to fit the back and then gluing design paper on the front and back, I was able to create a base for my images. I heat embossed with black the door image and then colored using Tim Holtz distress inks. I love the way this turned out and will try it again on a card.
I made my own post card from a piece of cream card stock and drawing a line down the center. I love this ribbon from Stampin' Up and the jingle bells I have had for ions.
I apologize for the poor picture but I just could not get the glare off of the glass. I wish that I would have taken my picture before gluing the back to the frame but was afraid to try and take it back off as I was certain that my paper would not survive.
It is much prettier in real life, lol.

Please remember that we are a vintage challenge blog so your final
product must be of a vintage style.

We will be choosing a random winner who will receive a digi of our
choice and a winner's badge to display on her blog.  In addition,
the Design Team will choose one project as Card of the Week (or shall we
say Project of the Week) and the creator will receive a badge to display
on her blog and will be in the running for a Guest Designer spot.

Our designers have created some wonderful projects for your
inspiration.  To get details and see what their throw-away items
are, just click on their names and you will be taken directly to their
blogs.

I hope that you will take our challenge this week and show us your trash!! And your created treasure of course. Can't wait to visit with you.

Project details:
Trashed frame
Paper: Stampin' Up Deck the Halls, Recollections
Ink: Versamark, Versafine onyx black, Tim Holtz distress inks
Other: Embossing powder in black, hunter green and copper, Top Note (purchased), Labels 4 from Spellbinders, glue pen, jingle bells (stash) Riding Hood Red striped ribbon SU, chipboard "Yuletide" K&Co, linen thread,
Images: Stampin' Up Home for Christmas, Peaceful Wishes, Winter Post

11 comments:

Cec said...

This is absolutely gorgeous and what a great decor piece you have created. Collage frames are usually so ugly with little photos of people in them but this is pleasing to the eye with all the fabulous elements.
Hugs!
Cec

Heide said...

Patti,
What a fabulous creation. Great Christmas images in the frame.

CraftinGranny said...

What a gorgeous frame and so creative and how nice to make something for yourself. It would make a beautiful gift too for someone special. Have a wonderful weekend! "Hugs" Carol

Colleen said...

Patti,
Wonderful project! Love the way you did the door.

Betty Benton said...

Loving how you recycled the old frame. It is now something that you can treasure!

Payne Holler Cards said...

THUD! can I just case this...must go break a frame similar that DH has in his office LOL
Patti this is really awesome!

have been poppin in just no time to stop and comment - feels good to get around and visit
hugs
Linda

craftieodmae said...

not much time for commenting now with the boys, so making a fast stop...........I totally love the picture!!!!! are you flea marketing?? Not me, don't even go that way when it's in town......hehe, way to many people for me.

The Other Patti Sue said...

LOVE this Patti... your such an inspiration!

Pat said...

Oh this is gorgeous Patti, what a great way to use an old frame, love all the elements in your sections.

Pat xx

Cheri said...

Patti, this is a fabulous project and I love your recycled idea! I've got to look around my stuff.....I have a cellar full of possibilities!!! LOL.

Renee Matarese said...

Patti, this was such a great idea! I love that you can display this for years to come. Your vintage images and colors are so pretty! Hard to believe Christmas is just around the corner. Yikes! Have a great week!